Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Open-GEU 8.10 - Enlightment of ubuntu Intrpid Ibex

Open-GEU 8.10 - Enlightenment of Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex ????

 

I tried this distro after reading the release notes and I thought this was a shiny edition of Ubuntu, since I’m a fan of ubuntu since gusty, I wanted to try this.

First I wanted to test it live. It took an astounding 25mins to boot, compared with ubuntu these times are years. The Screen that I first saw erased all the bad feelings I had of waiting. It looked absolutely stunning and bright. Those who like sober themes have to change them as soon as possible. It has a dock at the bottom as in OSX. The glassy panels, window themes and wallpaper are eye-candy.

Under the hood there are many flaws that i switched to Xubuntu in an hour of using this. I tried to mount the NTFS partitions in my system, but some magical force kept me from doing that, finally I too gave up.

Thunar works as it should, nothing new. There is some unknown file manager which shoots up when I double click a folder. This mystical thing looks plain and stupid and does stupider things. When I click a folder inside this window it opens in another new window. So I learned that I should launch Thunar from the dock and then browse the files and not from the places menu.

I became tired of this; I thought installing would at least speed things up and resolve certain issues. Again, I was wrong. The installation itself took ample time, and it was simple enough and similar to ubuntu. All the above gripes remained even after the installation. I enabled local admin login and logged in as root. There was yet another surprise for me. It was asking choices for first time run. I didn’t understand many and just went through it.

Everything was different in root login; the wallpaper, theme, dock style and contents of the dock.

The mounted partitions had rw capability but only with the strange file  manager not with Thunar. Then I gave up completely and shut down the system. It was time to move on to Xubuntu and perhaps some peace of mind.

 

My ratings:

 

v Speed :              5/5;

v stability:          4/5;

v Looks:                5/5;

v Features:         2/5; (not even the default games were there, no openoffice.org)

v Usability :      2/5; (that’s a joke)

v Overall:          3.6 / 5;

 

Screenshots:

(I didn't have the energy to check out the screenshot feature. so I borrowed some)







Disclaimer: This is the result of personal experience and it can change from person to person, I donot write this in the intention of hurting anybody. I'm just venting out.




No comments:

Post a Comment